What is so sexy about RED lips but so many women are afraid to wear it.
When I think of sexy red lips, Marilyn Monroe always comes to mind. She had such a fetish for red lips and definitely glamorized them!!! I would have to say that she had a lot to do with making me a fan of the red lip look! I am such a big fan of this look that I wanted the opening page in my portfolio to be of this look. Some of the hottest Hollywood actress such as Megan Fox, Gwen Stefani, Scarlet Johansen, and Jennifer Connelly all lit up the red carpet in their Red Hot Lips “making a statement”.
A little while back, I had the opportunity to work with an amazing photographer. Towards the end of the shoot I asked him if I could do one look with red lips. He agreed and by the time we were finished we had some pretty amazing shots. Not only did I get the pictures I wanted for my portfolio but he was so impressed by look that I ended up working with him on many more shoots. It is a look that will capture peoples attention, so if you want to be noticed, this is the look for you. Don’t be afraid to try it.
Today I like to discuss some of my favorite Red Lipsticks.
How to choose the Right Red for You….
If your complexion is fair to light–go with more a sheer Red with more orange in it.
If your complexion is light to med–go with True Red to a deeper Red with some blue in it. Remember the lip pencil should be 2 shades darker than your lipstick color.
If you complexion is med- dark– it is much harder to find the right Red. I like to mix 2 different lipstick colors– true red and the other more deep to dark burgundy.
Finally; remember if you use to wear red lips– keep you eyes very nude just some mascara and cream color shadow on lids.
Tricks to applying Red Lipstick:
- Make sure you lips are conditioned never chapped.
- Next apply a little foundation over your lips let it set.
- Start with lip-pencil which should be 1 to 2 shades darker than you lipstick color, start out lining your lips and then fill in with the lip pencil entire lip.
- Next apply your lipstick with a lip brush over your entire lips.
- Blot the lips with a tissue
- Reapply the lipstick with the lip brush
- Optional: if you choose to apply gloss gently apply it more in the center of the lips.
- Finally using a concealer and a concealer brush, apply concealer on the concerler brush and brush the outer lines of your lips to correct any red or feathering of the lipstick. You will have beautiful RED Lips.
Some of my favorite Red Lipsticks: MAC and YSL are my favorites due to the selection in Reds.